You may be tempted to stay within the city, but if you’re staying in San Juan for more than a few days, we encourage you to visit some f the most interesting attractions and places on the island rent.
We provide you with great day trips and excursions from San Juan. There are reputable tour companies offering great value taking care of all the details so you can focus on having a great time. We have included top-rated tours that combine top attractions in one trip, some include pick up in San Juan / Metro area, some offer to pick up at a reasonable fee.
El Yunque National Rainforest – Top Rated Daytrips to El Yunque
One of the most memorable places you will experience, which feels like a world away, is easily accessible from the capital city of San Juan. The hike through the rainforest is a real pleasure with mystical waterfalls throughout the park. El Yunque is one of the most magical places in the Caribbean, an experience the entire family will treasure. You could spend a few full days exploring El Yunque Rainforest, but one day will be sufficient to hike the most popular trails.
The best way to see El Yunque is to dedicate the day to the rainforest, however, if you’re in Puerto Rico for a few days and wish to get the most of your trip, there are some great tours that include other top attractions in the package.
+ Top Rated Combo Tours to El Yunque National Rainforest
- El Yunque & Bioluminescent Bay – This is one of the top-rated tours, visit the enchanted rainforest and the magical bioluminescent bay at night. See top-rated tour. (new window)
- El Yunque & Waterfall Slide – This is a fun tour for those with a sense of adventure and wishing for a more thrilling rainforest experience. Love going down waterslides? Prepare for a fun time on a waterpark created by nature, where you can slide down a natural rock slide with a refreshing waterfall surrounded by lush green canopies. This tour is more physically challenging along the way, if it rained prior prepare to get a little muddy on the way, you’ll have a chance to refresh going down the natural waterfall slide. See top-rated tour. (new window)
- El Yunque and Luquillo Beach (Balneario Monserrate). The beach in Luquillo is one of the most popular public beaches in Puerto Rico with great local food. See top-rated tour. (new window)
Popular 5 Star Tours to El Yunque National Rainforest
Sail to Cayos Icacos
Just an hour from San Juan to Las Croabas and other marinas in Fajardo, you can sail on a catamaran to the secluded island cay of Icacos where you can swim on deserted beaches of white sand, turquoise waters where you can snorkel, be merry, and even swim with dolphins which often show up to greet guests.
Before you book a tour to Icacos, be sure to take a look at some of the private charters, if you’re traveling with a family or group of 4 or more, for a little more money you can enjoy the luxury, convenience, and personalization of your own charter. Private charters also include additional stops at the keys and islands along the nature reserve. (see top-rated tours below)
Top Rated Tours to Icacos Cay
Experience the Magical Phenomenon of Bioluminescence
Puerto Rico was Blessed with Three Bioluminescent Bays
A truly magical experience you can’t miss. Kayak a bioluminescent bay at night under the stars, as your glide, the water lights up like magic. If you have children, it will be extra magical for them and an experience they will never forget. The most popular bioluminescent bay is in Fajardo, about a 45-minute drive from San Juan, which sees a higher number of tours, therefore more crowded. You may also book a tour to the bioluminescent bay of La Parguera Nature Reserve, located in the town of Lajas, on the southwest coast of Puerto Rico. Depending on traffic, it could take 2.5 hours to get to the town, however, you may be experiencing the bioluminescent bay with just one more boat/tour, sunsets are spectacular at La Parguera and you get the additional experience of visiting a true fishing village with various restaurants serving fresh fish and traditional Puerto Rican food.
Please Note: Before getting all excited to book a tour, please read the Puerto Rico Bioluminescent Bay guide so you can make the best decision and avoid frustrations.
Top Rated Bioluminescent Bay Tours (Fajardo & Lajas Locations)
Have a Fun Cave Exploration Day
With a scenic drive into the Karst region in the northern mountains, you can enjoy a fun day exploring caves, caverns. For those with a more adventurous spirit, some of the tours include rappelling, body rafting, and river trekking.
Following are the most popular and best-rated cave tours in Puerto Rico near San Juan:
- Arenales Caves – Incredible experience, ranked #5 Top Overall Experiences in the World and #1 Top Overall Experiences in the Caribbean – Spend a full morning on an intimate tour with a combination of river trekking, hiking, river floating through a breathtaking underground cave, and more. This is for the visitor with an adventurous spirit and physically challenging but worth every step.
- Cueva del Indio – Worthy of a filming location for Pirates of the Caribbean… and it was as well as few other movie scenes. Right along the coastline, you can visit a beautiful cave that was home to Taino Natives where you can observe original petroglyphs. The cave is located in one of the top five most scenic places on the island also known as Seven Arches, where rocks, water, and wind have come together to form seven natural arches. You’ll get tons of Instagram-worthy vacation photos.
- Cueva Ventana – Bring your hiking shoes and sense of adventure, you’ll walk through lush hiking trails, explore a cave that ends at a breathtaking natural window with views of karst countryside.
Top-Rated Cave Tours near San Juan
Take a Daytrip to the Island of Culebra
San Juan and Culebra are a wonderful combination. Old San Juan offers Old World European Charm while Culebra offers visitors a glimpse into the Caribbean past. Surely you heard of Flamenco Beach, ranked among the best beaches in the world and the Caribbean. Culebra offers the most pristine beaches untainted by development with the most beautiful colors of turquoise and emerald green waters you’ll ever see. Water has excellent clarity (under normal weather conditions), and some of the most preserved coral reefs in the Caribbean, great for snorkeling and scuba diving. While you can book a catamaran, consider booking a more intimate private charter for the ultimate experience without crowds so you can enjoy Culebra the way it is truly meant to be experienced. We are confident, you may be booking a few days in Culebra next time you travel to Puerto Rico to explore more.
Top Rated Tours to Culebra Island from San Juan, Fajardo & Ceiba
Note: Some tours arrange transportation from San Juan or you may need a transfer from San Juan to Fajardo / Ceiba or car rental. Sounds like a lot of logistics, but it is well worth the trip.