Parking Garages, Outdoor Lots, Street Parking and Insider’s Tips
Old San Juan is a walkable city, but outside the city walls there’s much more to see. Taxis can get expensive if you want to explore and enjoy all the interesting places to visit in the capital city of San Juan. After renting a car, one of your challenges may be finding a place to park. We drove around a lot and spent much time putting together information on parking so you can spend your valuable time exploring the city.
This page and the Parking Guides were created to provide you useful information and tips about parking garages, parking lots, free and metered street parking, valet parking, and hotel & casino parking in the main San Juan tourist areas.
Below you’ll find parking guides for San Juan International Airport, historic Old San Juan, Condado, Puerta de Tierra, the Convention Center business district (Puerto Rico Convention Center, Pan American Cruise Pier, Isla Grande Airport), Ocean Park Beach, and Isla Verde. The Parking Guide Pages (links below) include detailed information and maps by area – showing names of parking facilities, locations, hours, and rates for parking near attractions, the airports, cruise piers, beaches, hotels & resorts, casinos, shopping, and more.
General Parking Information and Tips for Tourist Areas
Please keep in mind that some parking garage and lot rates appearing in the Parking Guide pages and maps include 7% sales tax and some do not, so they may be off by 7%. We will continue to update information on parking facilities and specific parking rates as it becomes available.
- Convenient – especially with in/out privileges
- Great locations near attractions
- Best for protection from the elements
- Safe with video surveillance in place
- Typically offer full-day discounts
Outdoor Parking Lots
- Very Safe (w/someone in toll booth or video surveillance)
- Many convenient locations
- Faster in/out than garages
- Only a few offer a discounted full-day rate
- No protection from the elements
Street & Metered Parking
Free Street Parking:
Tip – “the early bird gets the worm.” If you have some extra time, and don’t mind walking a few blocks, it may pay off to get up early and drive around a little to find free street parking. But be careful, because just like in the U.S., you may get ticketed / fined if you park on the street where the curb is yellow (commercial / taxi use only) and most definitely if colored red (fire hydrant) or blue (disabled only). Only park along curbs with no coloring so you have no worries. Free street parking is hardest to find in Old San Juan and near beaches, hotels/resorts, casinos, shopping, and other tourist travel areas. The farthest from tourist areas you park, the less police presence you’ll see. Just like any other city, common sense should be practiced, don’t leave valuables in the car such as travel documents, always keep those inside the safe in your hotel room.
Metered Street Parking Rates / Rules:
- Look for meters or “Estacionamiento Pagando Metro” signs (yellow & white)
- 1st hour $0.50, 2nd hour $0.75 (max. 2 hours for $1.25)
- Time expired fine $35
- Enforced Monday – Saturday, 8am – 12 noon and Holidays
Parking Guides for Tourist Destinations in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- San Juan Airport Parking
- Condado & Puerta de Tierra Parking
- Isla Grande Airport Parking
- Pan American Cruise Pier Parking
- Old San Juan Cruise Pier Parking
- Old San Juan Parking
- Puerto Rico Convention Center District Parking
- Ocean Park Beach Parking
- Isla Verde Parking