San Juan Puerto Rico > San Juan Puerto Rico Events
San Juan is the cultural center of Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans always have a reason to gather, dance, and laugh. During your visit, most likely you’ll find a festivity or event being held. Many events are free and held outdoors at one of the many plazas and squares. Check the following event calendar and attend. You’ll learn much about Puerto Rican culture, traditions, and experience first hand why Puerto Ricans are often called the happiest people in the world.
Regular Events in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Fridays – Adoquín Jamming Nights – Musical and cultural nights in the streets, alleys and squares of Old San Juan.
- Sundays & Tuesdays from January – May 2015 – Le Lo Lai Festival – Enjoy a beautiful show of ladies and gentlemen dressed in traditional colorful dresses dancing to the tunes of plena and bomba. Locations: Tuesdays at 6pm at San Cristobal Fort & Sundays at 6pm at Cuartel de Ballaja.
- Saturdays – Every third at 7pm – Merengue & Bachata rhythms – Barceló Square and Barrio Obrero, in Santurce, swing to the merengue and bachata rhythms. This initiative seeks to give visibility and fraternize with our Dominican community in San Juan.
- Saturday – Every second from 7pm – 10pm – No Te Quedes Sin Bailar (Don´t miss dancing) – Salsa nights in the Ciudad Patria are held in Plaza de Colón, one San Juan´s plazas filled with salsa flavor.
- Every Saturday – Agroecological Market – Location: Museum of Art & History, Old San Juan – Hours: 8 am – 1 pm
- Every third Sunday of each month from 6:00 pm to 8:00 p.m. – Condado en Concierto (Condado in Concert) – Enjoy a concert of classical music in the open space at Plaza Estella Maris in Condado, New San Juan.
- Fourth Sunday of each month from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. – La Ciudad de los Niños (Children’s City) – Recreational and educational activities for the family in Old San Juan. Theater, dance and free workshops for children.
- The first Sunday of the month from 5:30p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – La Retreta (Musical Retreat) – Thematic concerts in San José Plaza in charge of the Puerto Rico Concert Band, directed by Master Cucco Peña.
- First Sunday of every month from 9am – 5pm – Farmer’s Market at Park La Ventana al MarPark – Avenida Ashford at Calle Joffre. Local produce, crafts, delicious traditional fritters and fresh cocktails made with local fruits.
- Last Sunday of every month – Ventana al Jazz – Come and enjoy live jazz in Condado at Ventana al Mar park in Ashford Drive. Event starts at 4pm. Please check their facebook page for dates, at times it’s held on a different week.
- Last Sunday of every month – Bahia Urbana Kids – Bring your kids to Bahia Urbana for a fun filled afternoon with games, great food, music, games and more. Location: Bahia Urbana
Annual Events in San Juan & Nearby Towns
- Aibonito Flower Festival
- Casals Festival – February – March
- Coffee & Chocolate Expo – September
Over 100 exhibitors with workshops, demonstrations, and lectures in the coffee and chocolate industries.
- Circo Fest – February 7 & 8
- Condado Culinary Festival
- Heineken Jazz Festival – March
- International blue-marlin fishing tournament
- International Billfish Tournament
- International Film Festival
- Loiza Carnival
- Pablo Casals Music Festival
- Puerto Rico Free Fall Festival – February
- Rum & Beer Fest
- Sangria Fest – March
- Saborea – April
- Sofo Culinary Festival – Held every Summer and Fall
- Taste of Rum – March
- Puerto Rico Danza Week
- Puerto Rican Music Festival
- Puerto Rico Tango Festival – October
- San Sebastian Festival – 3rd week in January
- World’s Best 10K Race
2015 Past Events in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- April 24 to April 26 – Battle of 1797 Reenactment – A great event for adults and children. Every year you can enjoy a battle reenactment at the forts featuring artillery and infantry demonstrations and parades by uniformed soldiers. Visit web site
- April 18 – April 19 – Free Admission to San Juan National Historic Site (El Morro & San Cristobal Forts) – To celebrate the National Park Week, you can visit the forts free of charge.
- April 18, 19, 2015 – IDA Concert – Free Event – Location: Ostra Cosa in Old San Juan from 5pm – 10pm
- April 11 – Tinglar Festival – 10am – 10pm – Not far from San Juan you can drive to Luquillo for the annual festival to celebrate the Leatherback Sea Turtles. Enjoy music, artisans, a parade and of course great food. Location: Plaza of Luquillo (center town)
- April 10 – 12 – Saborea Puerto Rico – Head over to Saborea Village to experience a culinary experience where you can enjoy samples from great restaurants as well as cooking demonstrations by great chefs in Puerto Rico. Location: Balneario Escambron. Visit website
- March 28, 2015 – Ricura Festival Gastronómico & Remember Party 70’s, 80’s, 90’s – Foodies and music lovers, attend the All-Inclusive culinary event with over 60 well known chefs from Puerto Rico offering delicious tastings. This event is two in one; great food and DJ’s playing the best hits from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Location: Cuartel Ballaja, Old San Juan. For more information visit: Facebook page, buy tickets.
- March 26 – March 29 – Heineken Jazz Fest – The anticipated annual Heineken Jazz fest is here. Get your tickets and enjoy 4 nights of jazz bands. Visit website for tickets and info
- March 23 – March 29 – Flower Power – Head over to Plaza Las Americas in San Juan and enjoy one of the most unique exhibitions. Beautiful vintage cars are exhibited surrounded by beautiful flowers. Visit website for more info
- March 22 – Ventana al Jazz – Enjoy live jazz on the beautiful Ventana al Mar Park in Condado. Starts at 4pm Visit their FB page
- February 22 – Bahia Urbana Kids – When: The last Sunday of every month. Bring your kids to Bahia Urbana for a fun filled afternoon with games, great food, music, games and more.
- February 28 – Taste of Rum – Event featuring live music, a wide variety of local and international rums, food sampling, seminars on the rum-distilling process, bomba/plena shows and a bartender competition. Visit Website
- February 28 – Festival de las Chiringas / El Morro Kite Festival – Kite flying is a pastime favorite for locals at El Morro and visitors are encouraged to join in the fun, this Sunday this fun tradition is celebrated with educational activities and fun for the whole family. Be sure to not to leave any trash or threads lying around in order to protect our natural resources.
- January 15 – 18 2015 – Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastian (San Sebastian Festival)
- February 7 -8 – Circo Fest in Old San Juan / Festical del Circo en el Viejo San Juan
- Dec 13 – Christmas Season Long – Christmas at La Lomita de los Vientos
- Dec. 13 – Christmas Boat Parade at Bahia Urbana, Old San Juan
San Juan Puerto Rico > San Juan Puerto Rico Events